Blog

Counting Calories — How to Get Started (or Restarted)

Save Time and Get Results

Daniel Long

April 10, 2021, 7:52 p.m.

At any given time, there are a number of different diets in vogue. Some focus on weight loss, others on adding muscle. Some work, others don’t. Across the board, those that lead to real, sustainable results have one thing in common: they involve a change in caloric consumption. Diets targeting weight loss involve some element of caloric restriction and diets targeting muscle gain involve some element...

Introducing GrubBase

Bringing Meal Planning into the 21st Century

Daniel Long

Feb. 9, 2021, 12:20 a.m.

In early 2013, I found myself sick with a bad case of food poisoning. A rough night turned into a rough month, and a rough month turned into a rough year. I set out on a multi-year journey to heal my gut and feel good again.

I tried eliminating certain foods and eating more of others. I experimented with meal timing, eating more food less frequently or less food more frequently. I worked...

Is Food Density the Missing Link in Your Calorie Count?

Why Most Calorie Counting Apps Get it Wrong

Daniel Long

Jan. 29, 2021, 3:43 p.m.

Here at GrubBase, we try to work both smarter and harder so you don’t have to do either. Every once in a while, though, we like to pull back the curtain and show our users what’s going on behind the scenes.

If you’ve read our blog post, Serving Sizes Anyway You Want Them with GrubBase, you know that unlike many Calorie Counting apps, GrubBase allows users to convert serving sizes to any unit...

Counting Calories with GrubBase Add-Ons

Make calorie counting easier and more accurate

Daniel Long

Jan. 26, 2021, 3:35 p.m.

Those who have calorie counted or used a meal planning app are likely very familiar with food “add-ons”, even if they haven’t referred to them as such.

Consider a simple chicken breast, a staple of so many health-conscious eaters. An average boneless, skinless chicken breast contains 326 calories. 78% of those calories come from protein and the remaining 22% come from fat.

However,...

Serving Sizes Anyway You Want Them with GrubBase

Daniel Long

Jan. 26, 2021, 3:29 p.m.

Here at GrubBase, there’s no shortage in things we find frustrating about traditional calorie counting apps — after all, we got into this business for a reason — but, if we had to make a list of these frustrations, the way in which these other apps handle serving sizes would be at the top of that list.

Let’s take an example from a leading calorie counting app, we’ll call it MyNutritionFriend....